SHR Talent is currently seeking a State and Local Tax Supervisor position for one of the largest privately-held mining and construction firms in the U.S.! This is a full-time position for the client's corporate office located in Nashville, TN. The State and Local Tax Supervisor will report directly to the Corporate Tax Manager.
This position will supervise a team committed to ensuring compliance with our state and local tax obligations. The ability to research and educate others is key to this role. The State and Local Tax Supervisor will provide guidance to manage complex projects associated with the preparation, filing and audits of state and local tax returns and will also continually search for areas of improvement, developing and introducing new ideas and processes which will help increase accuracy and productivity, while minimizing the company’s state tax liabilities.
- Oversees team preparation of returns for State and Local taxes covering 12 states in compliance with applicable regulations, including the research and gathering of accurate data. Prepares and reviews tax account analysis for the provision audit work-papers and related accruals.
- Supervises state and local tax associates to ensure timely and accurate completion of tax planning strategies.
- Ensures compliance in reporting procedures and methods, and makes recommendations for changes to such procedures, including internal systems and automation opportunities.
- Represents the Corporation in the management of State tax audits. Evaluate potential tax exposure, develop and implement audit strategies and maintain successful auditor relationships. Provide timely communication of audit results to management.
- Researches tax consequences of Corporate transactions and recommends alternatives. Partner with M&A and other internal teams on review of due diligence work for various state and local tax matters.
- Reviews and assist with the preparation of sales and use tax returns, property tax, fuel and severance tax returns.
- Participate in special tax projects as needed including state income tax credits, apportionment, restructuring, etc.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field, or the equivalent.
- CPA and/or MBA is preferred.
- 3 - 6 years’ experience in various tax functions including, but not limited to: sales/use, property (personal and real), severance, fuel, business, gross receipts, and minerals severance tax.
- Strong technical and analytical research skills, including the communication of findings.
- Experience with use tax calculation including payables and capital asset purchases
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills.
- Ability to handle recurring deadlines and multiple assignments.
- Strong managerial skills and ability to teach your area of expertise.
- Experience using Vertex O-Series software preferred.
- Construction and/or mining experience, a plus.
Competitive company perks, including:
- Group insurance options plus Health Savings Account with annual company contribution.
- Company paid life insurance, disability insurance, and more.
- Retirement 401K account with company contribution and match.
- Paid Holiday Shutdown period between Christmas and New Years in addition to 7 holidays throughout the year.
- Paid vacation.
- Annual performance-based merit increases.