SHR Talent is currently seeking a full-time Sr. Marketing Manager on behalf of a well-established publishing client in Grand Rapids, MI! This is a temporarily remote position that will eventually require work in the Grand Rapids office a couple of days a week once it is safe to do so.
The Sr. Marketing Manager plays a pivotal role in the book publishing process that digs deeper, asks fresh questions, and propels readers to take action. The Sr. Marketing Manager is a strategic and tactical leader in planning and managing marketing activities for frontlist books and select backlist titles in the division’s imprint. This position will lead the development and execution of integrated marketing campaigns for several key authors. These comprehensive campaigns for assigned titles include marketing positioning, consumer messaging, media planning and buying, social media strategy, live events, budgeting, and ROI analysis for each campaign. In partnership with authors, agents, editors, vendors, retail sales and other team members, the Sr. Marketing Manager applies an integrated approach to meet sales goals.
The ideal candidate is a marketing innovator, an excellent communicator who inspires trust and confidence in internal and external stakeholders, and a seasoned marketing leader capable of growing author brands and handling multiple projects all at different stages in the marketing cycle with confidence and passion.
- Develop strategies, goals, objectives to meet/exceed sales projections and to grow author brands
- Clearly articulate and communicate the vision, purpose, and product/product suite positioning for each title and/or brand
- Direct process for product titling, cover design, and creative collateral, back cover copy, metadata, and more for new titles; look for opportunities (based on research) to repackage and re-launch backlist titles
- Work with cross-functional partners including publishing, sales, research/consumer insights, supply chain, production, finance, and others to deliver winning consumer and customer plans via strong marketing strategy, including but not limited to social media, promotional and content videos, advertising, and publicity
- Lead display and promotion at appropriate events or conferences to support authors and product sales
- Manage selected author/agent and other partner relationships, delivering timely, clear, and concise communication/responses to all inquiries
- Review and provide input on select manuscript submissions ensuring the voice of the consumer is heard in acquisitions; participate in editorial discussions regarding direction of new book acquisition, as needed and directed by the VP of Marketing
- As necessary and with assistance from consumer insights team, lead research efforts to mine key consumer and competitive insights and identify evolving trends that will guide and inform brand, product, packaging, and marketing strategies
- Provide clear leadership for external stakeholders such as creative agencies, freelancers, etc. Ensure communication strategies, plans, and tactics are executed properly
- Participate in sales conference, imprint strategy meetings, and potential external partner presentations
- Proactively participate in weekly marketing meetings
- Manage fiscal year marketing and publicity budget for assigned projects
- Additional responsibilities as assigned
- 5-6+ years of experience in marketing or related field
- Experience in creating and executing marketing strategy
- Experience working with and giving direction to outside design firms/creative agencies, preferred
- Experience in presentations to small and large groups
- Project management experience
- Bachelor’s degree required in marketing, communications, or related field; or equivalent work experience
- Understanding of marketing, brand management, and publicity, knowledgeable in digital marketing & analytics best practices.
- Preferred: Working knowledge of Christian and religious publishing industry. Familiarity with Bible content and top Christian thought and ministry leaders. Existing relationships with ministries, advertising reps, and media outlets is a plus.
- Strong communication skills – both external communication to potential readers, as well as internal communication to facilitate the planning & execution of marketing strategies with core constituents including authors & agents.
- Experience managing multiple, competing priorities, duties and/or projects. Strong organizational, time management skills with attention to detail. Must be able to work independently under tight deadlines and possess the skill to set priorities and problem solve.
- Teamwork – this role develops integrated marketing plans and works cross-functionally with various team members throughout the organization.
- Technical proficiency with marketing tools and programs.