SHR Talent is currently seeking a Sr. Graphic Designer (Bible) for a globally recognized client in Grand Rapids, Michigan! This is a full-time opportunity that is temporarily remote due to Covid-19. This position will eventually require an individual to be onsite 5 days a week in Grand Rapids. Must be local or willing to relocate in the future. This role requires an individual with the technical ability to handle complex designs with content that is heavily footnoted, indexed, and full of tables and images. In addition, candidate should have project management skills in hiring and managing outside vendors. Strong and appropriate execution are crucial for success in this role. The Sr. Graphic Designer (Bible) must be exceptionally organized and able to manage a demanding schedule in a fast-paced environment.
- Applicants must include access to their portfolio for consideration.
- How many years of experience with book interior layout and design?
- Do you have experience with textbooks, technical manuals, or black & white books that are 100’s of pages long? How many years of experience?
- Work simultaneously on 10-12 projects based on publishing cycle.
- Design and typeset high-quality Academic and Reference interiors in collaboration with editorial, art directors, marketing, and production.
- Take initiative in each project to problem-solve, trouble-shoot, and demonstrate consistent follow-through to meet deadlines.
- Properly manage projects and report progress.
- Translate text scenarios and requirements for design into effective technical solutions
- Coordinate the creation of interior illustrations/artwork and photography.
- Execute with a focus on file performance, scalability, and usability as well as content reuse and integrity
- Maintain quality control throughout the entire publishing workflow process.
- Responsible for pre-press operations to prepare print ready PDF for the printer.
- Collect all necessary files and documents pertaining to a project and archive following established procedures.
- Expert Macintosh computer skills in Adobe CC Suites programs: mainly InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Strong knowledge of typography including paragraph, character, object, and GREP styles; setting up Master pages
- Knowledge of Academic and Bible structural elements and translations
- At least 5 years of experience in interior book design, composition, and project management
- Preferably professional and educational publishing experience involving complex content
- Bachelor’s Degree in Art & Design preferred or equivalent work experience in religious, academic, or professional publishing.
- Understands printing and binding processes
- Strong knowledge of Academic, Reference, and Bible design and current trends
- Comprehensive knowledge of long document typesetting in InDesign
- High level of skill working with Adobe CC InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator on MAC OS
- Knowledge of how to create and use GREP styles and scripts preferred
- Familiarity with XML (DITA) a plus
- Project Management
- Handle multiple tasks and set appropriate priorities
- Effective written and oral communication skills with extended team and vendors
- Able to work quickly, accurately, and efficiently
- Bilingual (Spanish) candidates are a plus