SHR Talent is currently seeking a creative Senior Graphic Designer (4 Color) with experience in designing and typesetting 4 color lifestyle, cookbooks, and gift books for a client in Nashville! This is a full-time opportunity that is temporarily remote due to Covid-19. This position will eventually require an individual to be onsite 5 days a week in Nashville. Must be local or willing to relocate in the future. The company’s in-house Content Design team is looking for someone who can take direction from written or spoken ideas and convert them seamlessly into high-design book interior layouts.
The successful candidate should have an intimate knowledge of current book trends and typography to support the company’s specialty, non-fiction, and fiction publishing teams. The individual in this role must be able to work in a fast-paced environment, possess strong and appropriate creative vision and execution, & be highly organized while managing a demanding schedule.
Applicants must include access to their portfolio for consideration.
Under minimal supervision by the Creative Director:
- Work simultaneously on 12-20 projects based on publishing cycle.
- Work collaboratively with editorial, production, and art directors on the development of book interiors from design concept to typesetting proofs to creating high quality print ready files for complex product; 4-color experience required.
- Take initiative in each project to problem-solve, trouble-shoot, and demonstrate consistent follow-through to meet deadlines.
- Properly manage projects and report progress.
- Manipulate and color correct photos and illustrations; create graphs and charts as needed.
- Responsible for pre-press operations to prepare print ready PDF for the printer.
- Collect all necessary files and documents pertaining to a project and archive following established procedures.
- Repurpose existing content and make reprint corrections as requested.
- Expert Macintosh computer skills in Adobe CC Suites programs
- Strong knowledge of typography including paragraph, character, object, and GREP styles; Master Pages desired
- Knowledge of book structural elements and proofreading marks
- 7+ years of professional experience in creative/design/type management processes, project management
- BA from respected institution in Design field, especially relating to interior book design and typography
- Understands printing and binding processes
- Strong knowledge of Trade Book design and current trends desired
- Comprehensive knowledge of long document production in InDesign
- High level of skill working with Adobe CC InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator on MAC OS
- Capable of working with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Project Management
- Handle multiple tasks and set appropriate priorities
- Effective written and oral communication skills to comfortably brainstorm and communicate smoothly and effectively
- Able to work quickly, accurately, and efficiently