SHR Talent is partnering with a well-established client in the Grand Rapids area in its search for a Senior Acquisitions Editor! This is a full-time opportunity working remotely until further notice. This position will be responsible for acquisition, editorial, and product development of children’s and teen products. The individual in this role must be polished, professional, & possess excellent relationship-building/communication/people skills. The Senior Acquisitions Editor will work with the publisher to strategize and manage title plans for product categories to ensure the publishing group produces the budgeted amount of product to meet annual fiscal goals.
- Maintain a consistent, timely, and multi-faceted publishing pipeline, in accordance with the Publisher and publishing team strategy and philosophy.
- Work with agents and authors to acquire approximately 20 – 30 titles per year.
- Proactively participate in regular editorial meetings and pub boards.
- Identify market trends and felt needs of readers.
- Present publishing offers to agents and authors and negotiate the key deal points.
- Maintain contact with authors under contract for new titles, monitor their progress toward submission, and determine if the submitted manuscript is acceptable.
- Provide timely communication with current and potential authors and their agents regarding the status of their proposals and/or future projects and backlist titles.
- Perform a macro level edit on the manuscript, offering feedback and suggestions to the author on how it can be improved.
- Work with sales, operations and publisher to ensure acquisitions will meet financial hurdles.
- Present titles at sales conference.
- Participate in creative development of titles, descriptive copy, acquisition, editorial and publishing board proposals, and proposals to authors.
- Create ideas for proprietary books and brands.
Work Experience: Proven success as an acquisitions editor, macro editor, and 7-8 years’ experience in publishing.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in English, Writing, Journalism, Publishing, or equivalent degree required
Industry Knowledge: Working knowledge of the trade book market, leading authors, and agents is required. Experience creating children’s and teen nonfiction books, preferred.
- Ability to work collaboratively with authors, vendors, managing and production editors, and marketing in bringing products to a successful launch
- Excellent editing, proofreading and communication skills; ability to work with authors in developing content
- Ability to prioritize, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and meet deadlines successfully and within budget
- Creative, visionary thinker with the ability to evaluate and conceive worthwhile product ideas
- Ability to articulate in writing and speech a convincing case for new products; includes making publications board and sales conference presentations
- Relationship builder, networking ability
- Manuscript management experience
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced, evolving industry and environment
- Must be able to travel as needed