SHR Talent is partnering with a well-established client in Nashville in its search for a Senior Acquisitions Editor! This is a full-time opportunity that will work remotely until further notice. The Senior Acquisitions Editor will serve in a leadership role in acquisitions and editorial/product development for non-fiction titles in the Christian market. The individual in this role must possess excellent relationship-building/communication/people skills & a polished, professional demeanor. This role requires someone willing to travel, as the Senior Acquisitions Editor will be meeting with current & prospective authors to collaborate on the manuscript/writing process.
- Actively acquires 12-14 titles per year consistent with publishing strategy and financial goals.
- Oversees editorial development of books acquired, including the delivery of expert and timely editorial work and strong author management.
- Shepherds the titling, packaging, and cataloging process for acquired titles.
- Provides timely communication with current and potential authors and their agents regarding the status of their proposals and/or contracted projects.
- Negotiates with authors and/or agents in a manner that is fair and within financial benchmarks and develops, nurtures, and grows author and agent relationships; strong editorial judgment about which authors to acquire and resign.
- Represents Nelson Books persuasively within HCCP and within the broader publishing community, including at writer’s conferences and industry trade shows as needed.
- Influences and informally mentors junior editorial staff.
- Possesses expertise in cultural, entertainment, and publishing trends.
Knowledge: Expert market knowledge, proven leadership ability, proven success in acquisitions, proven ability to maintain strong relationships with internal and external constituencies.
- Work Experience: Proven success as an acquisitions editor with 7-8 years’ experience in publishing.
- Education: BA in Humanities, English, Journalism, or Theology or equivalent degree required.
Industry Knowledge: Complete knowledge of the ABA and CBA trade book market, leading authors, and publishers; strong agency and industry contacts.
- Excellent editing, proofreading, and communication skills; ability to work with authors in developing content
- Manuscript management experience
- Adept with Christian content and a variety of theological viewpoints.
- Able to work with and lead/influence others in a team environment
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to juggle multiple assignments at any given time
- Able to manage and coach creative people and desire to see them thrive
- Skilled in understanding book offers, publishing terms, and ability to negotiate
- Decisive, well organized, strategic planner in the context of a team environment with shared processes and goals. Innovation and creativity skills are crucial for success.
- Relationship builder, networker, diplomatic and collaborative
- Outstanding communication and public speaking skills
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced, evolving industry and environment
- Must be able to travel as needed