SHR Talent is currently seeking a seasoned Senior Editor on behalf of a client in Nashville! This is a full-time opportunity. The ideal candidate will be highly detail-oriented, as he/she will edit content for the company’s best-selling authors. The Senior Editor’s responsibilities also include the coordination of all copyediting and proofreading, as well as manage other aspects of the publication process. The Senior Editor will have the ability to occasionally complete developmental edits.
- Accurately, efficiently, and economically performs duties required for producing quality books that reflect editorial excellence.
- Delivers precise line edits for approximately 12-15 frontlist titles per year.
- Ensures that all assigned manuscripts are printer-ready, including completing final edits, ensuring all errors are addressed, and optimizing manuscripts using html.
- Reviews changes from freelancers and authors, updating manuscripts appropriately, and verifying corrections to manuscripts.
- Inputs and updates reprint corrections.
- Provides editorial support for audiobook manuscripts and other potential products or product extensions such as custom editions, e-courses, journals, international editions, trade paper conversions, etc.
- Delivers editorial support for internal documents related to book proposals, sales conference materials, marketing materials, and other important documents as needed.
- Facilitates creation of cover copy and catalog copy, writing and proofreading as needed, and assists with the catalog and consumer description process across functions and stakeholders.
- Be comfortable working with and applying The Chicago Manual of Style standards to titles being edited.
- Develops excellent working relationships with colleagues, including acquisitions editors, marketing and publicity staff, sales team members, production staff, designers, typesetters, and freelancers.
- Maintains exceptional communication with authors, partner organizations, writers, and coworkers.
- Manages multiple projects while maintaining high standards of quality and meeting deadlines on tight production schedules.
- Works closely with Acquisitions Editors for manuscript handoffs, maintaining contact, and progress.
- Collaborates as needed with marketing team members for special projects.
- Responds to manuscript requests from marketing, publicity, and sales.
- Actively contributes to production meetings, as well as various other team meetings.
- Adheres to schedules set by the Associate Publisher and delivers timely updates on schedule progress.
- Coordinates with the typesetting and design team, managing all copyediting and proofreading, and ensuring timely delivery.
- As needed, communicates with and coordinates to hire freelancers. Oversees budgets for editorial expenses (copyeditors, proofreaders, indexers).
- Facilitates securing permissions, releases, and endorsements, as needed, and obtains approval for typesetting and interior design, and copyediting.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, Adobe Acrobat, and The Chicago Manual of Style.
- Experience with product-specific SEO preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of previous editorial experience, required.
- Prior book publishing experience with a focus on trade nonfiction preferred.
- 4-year degree required, with an emphasis in English or journalism preferred. Other majors welcome when combined with relevant experience.
- Knowledge of publishing or other consumer content-related industry preferred but not required.
- The ideal candidate will be an avid book reader, organized, detail oriented, tech savvy, an active member of the team, and possess a can-do attitude.