SHR Talent is seeking a highly experienced Royalty Accountant for a client known for being one of the world's leading English-language publishers! This is a full-time position working for the client's Global Royalty Department. This position is currently work-from-home until further notice.
This position is responsible for assisting with the transition of publishing royalties to a new software system and, following implementation, ongoing support of global royalties. It is imperative that a prospective candidate for this role have a background in royalties (book publishing royalties experience is preferred) and understand the general processes involved in managing data in a royalty system. A candidate must be extremely thorough and detail oriented. There will be considerable training, testing, and reconciliation involved with the position.
Travel is currently on hold, but typically some domestic and/or international travel (3 – 6 international trips per year) may be required. This global royalty position routinely (3 – 5 days a month) works hours aligned with those of European offices (7 hours ahead of Central Time), or offices in the Eastern U.S. time zone. The remainder of the month will be closer to standard US business hours (approximately 7:30 – 4:30).
The main responsibilities of the Royalty Accountant include the following:
- Learn the current royalty systems and processes
- Train on new royalty system and adjust processes
- Become a project owner for reconciling and testing migrated data
- Liaise with business owners to ensure appropriate system handling of royalty information
- Prepare and deliver author royalty statements
- Manage beneficiary changes
- Contract set up and review
- Royalty system expertise
- Process improvement
- Ownership of financial postings for royalty and licensing transactions
- Participate in testing of software functionality for royalty items
- Review affiliate sales reporting for accuracy and completeness
- Ad hoc reporting for internal and external customers upon request
- Ensure outstanding support for all inquiries, updates, and other requests from authors and agents
- 3+ yrs of corporate accounting experience required
- Accounting degree strongly preferred
- Experience/exposure in Royalty Accounting strongly desired
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance is required.
- Experience with sales, royalty, and distribution of goods (order to cash and warehouse) processes is required.
- Knowledge of book royalties, author contracts, and contract interpretation is preferred.
- Advanced level Microsoft Excel skills required (Pivot Tables).
- Experience with JDE financials and order to cash software preferred.
- AS400 system experience also preferred.
- Klopotek royalty system knowledge is a plus.
- 3 -5 days a month will be a work schedule on European time zones; otherwise 7:00 - 4:00 or 7:30 - 4:30.
- Candidate will be onboarded remotely.