SHR Talent is representing a publishing client in Nashville in its search for a full-time Publicity Manager (Gifts Division) to oversee full PR campaigns for a selection of titles within the Gifts Group, which prides itself on strong author relationships, award-winning content, and a cohesive team environment. The Gift team supports brands known worldwide. The Publicity Manager works with an outstanding selection of authors in an exciting, fast-paced environment, developing and executing exceptional PR campaigns, securing coverage across broadcast, print, online, and other digital media. This position works closely with the company’s top-performing marketing team and the Senior Marketing Director to ensure the highest level of visibility of our authors and content. This is a temporarily remote opportunity due to Covid-19. The individual in this role will eventually be required to work onsite in the Nashville office.
- Develop individual, targeted publicity campaigns for approximately 35-40 titles annually. Set measurable goals for success.
- Write press releases and creative pitch letters for each campaign.
- Pitch and book media coverage for author/titles to print, radio, online/digital, podcasts and TV outlets.
- Actively develop and maintain media contacts, including national, regional, and local.
- Develop, manage schedule for, write and distribute Marketing and Publicity updates (MPUs).
- Work closely with marketing, sales, online marketing, and editorial. Attend sales pub board and key sales meetings as needed.
- Continuously research and develop relationships with new outlets for possible coverage.
- Create PR plans and updates, sales presentations and sales conference materials as needed.
- Represent the Gift Dept at key industry events, conferences, media pitching trips, author media appearances and/or book signings.
- Work with author on publicity goals for specific titles and manage expectations through clear, consistent communication.
- Schedule and attend author media tours.
- Manage the publicity budget for assigned titles and coordinate the activities of other personnel involved in each project.
- Maintain strong internal relationships as part of marketing and publicity teams across the company.
- Research, negotiate with, and manage outside publicity firms as needed for certain projects.
- Identify news/opportunities into which our authors/books may be inserted and thus exposed to consumers via various media outlets; craft pitches appropriate for each outlet.
- Speak into projects early in development to help determine potential for success based on author platform, likely media interest, pitch angles, authors’ media experience, and opportunities for exclusive content.
- Working knowledge of crafting and delivering professional pitches and news releases to media outlets with at least two years of experience pitching to national media.
- Knowledge of media contact and engagement platforms such as Meltwater and Cision required; proven success with digital PR outlets required.
- 2+ years of experience in publishing or entertainment publicity preferred.
- Knowledge of Christian authors is a plus.
- 5+ years working in public relations and/or transferrable work experience such as corporate communications.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Advertising, Marketing, Communications, Journalism or related field.
- Keen understanding of publicity and its function is required.
- Established media contacts in Christian and general market media arenas preferred.
- Christian book publishing experience preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, detail oriented, highly organized, ability to think creatively and strategically.
- Strong project management skills.
- Proficiency in making presentations to small and large groups.
- Ability to write strong/winning media pitches.
- Ability to work within a highly collaborative team environment is essential.
- Basic budget skills.
- Willing to travel (eventually).